v3.8 Release Notes
email@example.com release (June 2021 #2)
Key highlights of this release:
- React 18 - Alpha - React 18 Alpha is available in Gatsby
gatsby-source-shopifyv5 - brand new version
- Web Vitals Tracking - Analytics Plugins now support tracking Web Vitals
- webpack caching - built-in persistent caching activated for everyone
- Improvements to Drupal integration — Sourcing is up to 30%+ faster and more reliable
Also check out notable bugfixes.
Bleeding Edge: Want to try new features as soon as possible? Install
gatsby@next and let us know
if you have any issues.
React 18 - Alpha
Gatsby supports React 18 Alpha. It’s still very early days but we like to be ahead of the pack. You can use
stateBatching today by installing
react-dom@alpha. We love to get feedback in the Umbrella Discussion.
Gatsby’s new Shopify integration which we announced at GatsbyConf earlier this year is now generally available.
- Incremental data updates are now 16x faster than previous versions
- v5 uses Shopify’s Admin API and bulk operation to overcome API rate limits of the Storefront API
- Gatsby Cloud now offers Quick Connect for Shopify
Web Vitals Tracking
We’ve added support for tracking Web Vitals to
gatsby-plugin-google-tagmanager by using the
web-vitals package (PR #31665).
The plugins now send three metrics:
- Largest Contentful Paint (LCP): measures loading performance. To provide a good user experience, LCP should occur within 2.5 seconds of when the page first starts loading.
- First Input Delay (FID): measures interactivity. To provide a good user experience, pages should have a FID of 100 milliseconds or less.
- Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS): measures visual stability. To provide a good user experience, pages should maintain a CLS of 1 or less.
You can activate the tracking in your
gatsby-config.js by setting
In the previous 3.7 release we started a gradual rollout of webpack 5 built-in persistent caching. It allows webpack to reuse results of previous compilations and significantly speed up compilation steps. With Gatsby v3.8 it’s now enabled for everyone.
gatsby-source-drupal is now a lot faster and more reliable when sourcing data from Drupal. We switched to use Got for HTTP requests plus added an optimized http agent and http/2 support.
Notable bugfixes & improvements
gatsby-plugin-sitemap: Properly throw error on missing siteUrl via PR #31963
gatsby: Removed outdated ESLint rules
jsx-a11y/accessible-emojivia PR #31896
A big Thank You to our community who contributed to this release 💜
- prajapati-parth: docs(gatsby-plugin-image): fix minor typo PR #31751
- cometkim: fix(gatsby): fix signature for latest experimental version of react-dom PR #31750
- lqze: chore(docs): Update gatsby-plugin-image typos PR #31790
- dhrumilp15: chore(docs): Update digitalocean certbot instructions PR #31796
- DanailMinchev: chore(docs): Add
testEnvironmentto RTL doc PR #31793
- gmanfunky: chore(docs): Add link to latest migration doc PR #31798
- lee1409: fix(gatsby-remark-copy-linked-files): replace checking parent node type to ‘dir’ PR #31780
- smurrayatwork: Fixes bug where datum have no attributes and attributes have no langcode. PR #31864
- ThyNameIsMud: fix(gatsby-source-wordpress) Use send property for timeout (#31737) PR #31847
- eligundry: fix(gatsby-source-contentful): improve error message when dominant color can’t be generated PR #31879
- NikSchaefer: chore(docs): Fix grammar issue PR #31937
- amaaniqbal: chore(docs): Fix multiple grammar issues PR #31946
- nikolaik: docs: Fix missing commas in plugin-image defaults PR #31961