v3.8 Release Notes
firstname.lastname@example.org release (June 2021 #2)
Key highlights of this release:
- React 18 - Alpha - React 18 Alpha is available in Gatsby
gatsby-source-shopifyv5 - brand new version
- Web Vitals Tracking - Analytics Plugins now support tracking Web Vitals
- webpack caching - built-in persistent caching activated for everyone
- Improvements to Drupal integration — Sourcing is up to 30%+ faster and more reliable
Also check out notable bugfixes.
Bleeding Edge: Want to try new features as soon as possible? Install
gatsby@next and let us know
if you have any issues.
Gatsby supports React 18 Alpha. It’s still very early days but we like to be ahead of the pack. You can use
stateBatching today by installing
react-dom@alpha. We love to get feedback in the Umbrella Discussion.
Gatsby’s new Shopify integration which we announced at GatsbyConf earlier this year is now generally available.
- Incremental data updates are now 16x faster than previous versions
- v5 uses Shopify’s Admin API and bulk operation to overcome API rate limits of the Storefront API
- Gatsby Cloud now offers Quick Connect for Shopify
The plugins now send three metrics:
- Largest Contentful Paint (LCP): measures loading performance. To provide a good user experience, LCP should occur within 2.5 seconds of when the page first starts loading.
- First Input Delay (FID): measures interactivity. To provide a good user experience, pages should have a FID of 100 milliseconds or less.
- Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS): measures visual stability. To provide a good user experience, pages should maintain a CLS of 1 or less.
You can activate the tracking in your
gatsby-config.js by setting
In the previous 3.7 release we started a gradual rollout of webpack 5 built-in persistent caching. It allows webpack to reuse results of previous compilations and significantly speed up compilation steps. With Gatsby v3.8 it’s now enabled for everyone.
gatsby-plugin-sitemap: Properly throw error on missing siteUrl via PR #31963
gatsby: Removed outdated ESLint rules
jsx-a11y/accessible-emojivia PR #31896
A big Thank You to our community who contributed to this release 💜
- prajapati-parth: docs(gatsby-plugin-image): fix minor typo PR #31751
- cometkim: fix(gatsby): fix signature for latest experimental version of react-dom PR #31750
- lqze: chore(docs): Update gatsby-plugin-image typos PR #31790
- dhrumilp15: chore(docs): Update digitalocean certbot instructions PR #31796
- DanailMinchev: chore(docs): Add
testEnvironmentto RTL doc PR #31793
- gmanfunky: chore(docs): Add link to latest migration doc PR #31798
- lee1409: fix(gatsby-remark-copy-linked-files): replace checking parent node type to ‘dir’ PR #31780
- smurrayatwork: Fixes bug where datum have no attributes and attributes have no langcode. PR #31864
- ThyNameIsMud: fix(gatsby-source-wordpress) Use send property for timeout (#31737) PR #31847
- eligundry: fix(gatsby-source-contentful): improve error message when dominant color can’t be generated PR #31879
- NikSchaefer: chore(docs): Fix grammar issue PR #31937
- amaaniqbal: chore(docs): Fix multiple grammar issues PR #31946
- nikolaik: docs: Fix missing commas in plugin-image defaults PR #31961